What Is Hard Water?
Hard water can slowly and quietly wreck a home’s plumbing appliances, fixtures, and household items. This can be both a nuisance and expensive as homeowners must repair and replace plumbing fixtures and clothing items.
Hard water contains a high concentration of dissolved minerals – usually calcium and magnesium ions. This can have numerous effects on a household, including soap scrum, mineral deposits or scale on pipes, appliances, or plumbing fixtures, reduced lifespan of plumbing systems, and even faded laundry and dry skin.
Property owners can prevent these issues by installing a water softener system.
How Does a Water Softener Work?
Homeowners can combat the effects of hard water by adding a water softener.
Two of the most common water softeners are salt-based ion exchange water softeners and salt-free water conditioners, like reverse osmosis. A salt-based water softener replaces calcium and magnesium ions with sodium ions. With a salt-free water conditioner, a membrane is used to remove dissolved minerals from the water. These units do not require a brine tank or salt, making them a popular option for households worried about sodium intake.
Signs of Hard Water
To preserve plumbing fixtures and prolong the lifespan of appliances, households should recognize the signs of hard water so they can take the necessary steps to treat it.
Some of the most common signs of hard water that experts recommend watching for are:
- Soap scum buildup in sinks and bathtubs, and difficulty lathering the soap
- Scale buildup in pipes and plumbing appliances
- Stains and mineral deposits on bathroom fixtures, kitchen faucets, and plumbing appliances
- Faded clothes, or clothing that is stiff or rough
- Spotted glasses and dishes, even after washing them
- Dry hair and skin
- Inefficient water heater due to buildups, resulting in higher energy bills
If homeowners experience these issues, they should schedule an appointment with a plumber to test their water. Technicians can perform tests to determine the hardness of the water and what minerals are present. Based on the results, the experts may then recommend installing water softeners.
Benefits of Whole Home Water Softeners
Scheduling a water softener installation can have numerous advantages for households. Some of the top water softener benefits include:
- Reduced scale buildup in pipes and appliances, resulting in cost savings by extending the lifespan of systems.
- Less time cleaning scale buildups and soap scum from appliances, sinks, showers, and bathtubs.
- A more efficient water heater that can operate correctly. This can result in lower energy bills.
- Softer skin and smoother hair due to reduced mineral exposure.
- Elimination of spots on glasses and dishes.
- Longer-last clothes that are not prematurely fading or ripping.
About AZ Water Solutions
AZ Water Solutions is a woman-owned company in Maricopa County that strives to provide healthy and safe water to its customers. They only hire trustworthy technicians, and they guarantee satisfaction with every appointment. Call them today for whole-home filtration services in Scottsdale, AZ.